The trend towards natural beauty products is only growing, with more and more major brands introducing organic products. But some of the best treatments can be found in your cupboard (and it doesn’t hurt that nature’s best beauty solutions are easy on the wallet to boot). Milyn and I have tried just about every DIY hair and face mask and insider trick out there, so we’ve compiled a list of our favorite kitchen-sink solutions to help you get rapid glam from the comfort of your own home!
Whether extreme temperatures or excessive heat styling have left your strands parched, brittle or just plain dull, this easy do-it-yourself mask is the perfect cocktail of ultra-hydrating ingredients guaranteed to makeover your thirsty mane:
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 ounces water
Mix all ingredients in a blender. Wet your hair with warm water to open the follicles. Apply the mask and use a wide-tooth comb to evenly distribute. Put a shower cap on and let sit for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse with cool water to close the cuticle and lock in moisture. (Tip: If you have the time, apply some heat to help the hair really absorb the hydrating nutrients).
This face mask combines some of our favorite skin-nourishing ingredients.
- Turmeric is a well-known superfood, and also contains powerful anti-oxidant, anti-septic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Raw honey is unpasteurized, retaining its live enzymes, minerals and vitamins (and it’s one of our hands-down FAVORITE facial cleansers/exfoliators!).
- Greek yogurt soothes and hydrates the skin and gives the mask more thickness to help it stay put while you banish blemishes, fade dark spots and smooth wrinkles.
Simply combine about a tablespoon of each, apply to clean skin (including your neck) and let sit for 30 minutes. Rinse with tepid water and voila! That coveted healthy glow is instantly restored.
Regularly visiting the nail salon can quickly take a toll on both your time and your wallet. Get a salon-quality manicure with staying power at home with these simple tips:
- Skip the drugstore nail hardener and reach for garlic. Add a teaspoon of minced garlic to your basecoat to strengthen nails and promote growth.
- Dip nails in vinegar (white or apple cider) before applying polish to remove the natural oils from the surface of the nail, helping lacquer better adhere.
- Set your polish with Pam. The oil is helps keep paint from smudging or denting.
These are just a few of our favorite natural at-home beauty treatments. Have some great DIY faves? Share them with us in the comments!